1. Which of the following accounts is recorded as part of stockholders’ equity on the Balance Sheet ?
a. Long term debt
b. Retained earnings
2. For 2014, CAP Corporation reported net income of $96,000; net sales $1,440,000; and weighted
average shares outstanding of 9,600. There were no preferred dividends. What was the 2014
earnings per share?
3. Issuing debt is an example of a(n)
a. operating activity.
b. investing activity.
c. financing activity.
d. noncash investing and financing activity.
4. The ending Retained Earnings balance is found on which of the following statements?
Statement of Retained Earnings
Both Balance Sheet and Statement of Retained Earnings above
5. Which of the following describes the normal balance and classification of the Accumulated
Depreciation account? (Points : 3)
6. Which of the following items is handled as a deferral? (Points : 3)
7. LBJ Company recorded the following events involving a recent purchase of merchandise.
– Received goods for $95,000, terms 2/10, n/30.
– Returned $4,500 of the shipment for credit due to damaged goods.
– Paid $1,000 for freight in.
– Paid the invoice within the discount period.
As a result of these events, the company’s merchandise inventory (Points : 3)
increased by 89,580.
increased by $89,690.
increased by $89,600.
increased by $91,500.
8. In periods of rising prices, which of the following inventory methods results in the highest gross pro
figure? (Points : 3)
Average cost method
Cannot be determined based on the information given
9.On a classified balance sheet, prepaid expenses are classified as (Points : 3)
Prepaid expenses do not belong on the Balance Sheet.
10. Which of the following is an objective of internal control? (Points : 3)
Comply with legal requirements
11. Your friend, Lisa, has hired you to evaluate the following internal control procedures.
Explain to your friend whether each of the numbered items below is an internal control strength or
weakness. You must also state which internal control procedure relates to each of the internal control
For the weaknesses, you also need to state a recommendation for improvement.
(1) Paychecks are left on the desk for pick-up.
(2) Supervisors count cash receipts daily.
(3) Invoices are pre-numbered.
(4) Bonding of the cashiers is required.
(5) The accountant purchases and pays for supplies.
12.Please prepare the following journal entries. Indicate which account should be debited and which
account should be credited, along with the dollar amount of the debit and credit.
(1) Investors invest $300,000 in exchange for 30,000 shares of common stock.
(2) Company made payment on account for $500.
(3) Employees work Monday through Friday and are paid on Friday. Salary expense is $20,000 per day
and December 31 falls on a Tuesday.
(4) Company purchased Supplies for $2,000.
(5) The company needs to record Supplies used for $500
13. Worth 10 points.
What is the Accounting Equation??
14. The following items are taken from the financial statements of PQR Company for 2012:
Unearned Service Revenue
Equipment, net of accumulated depreciation
Retained Earnings 12/31/2011
Cost of Goods Sold
(a) Please create a classified Balance Sheet in good form for the year ended 2012. (25 points)
(b) Please calculate the current ratio.
15. The following items are taken from the financial statements of Ashe Company for 2012:
Cost of Goods Sold
Note Payable (due 2014)
Retained Earnings (beginning)
(a) Calculate the net income. (18 points)
(b) Calculate the balance of Retained Earnings that would appear on a balance sheet at December 31
2012. (7 points)
(c) Calculate the gross profit percentage.