Deliverable Length: 10 to 1??2 pages
Select a publicly traded company using the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) EDGAR System at http://sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html and submit to the instructor for approval. Please note that each student must research a different company. Once the instructor has approved the company selection, obtain the Annual Report (Form 10K) and Proxy Statement (Form DEF 14A) of the company for the immediate past fiscal year. Review these documents in addition other financial information available on the company’s Investor Relations Web site to evaluate the following items.
- Review the report of the independent registered public accounting firm on internal controls. Explain components of the report that meet the criteria established in Internal Control – Integrated Framework issued by the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) and the PCAOB.
- Explain management’s responsibility relative to internal controls and maintaining the integrity of the accounting information systems.
- Discuss the implications of computer technology on the internal control structure and auditing procedures. Develop data flow diagrams and accounting cycle flow charts that illustrate the relationship between information systems and the accounting process.
- Describe at least two audit tests and procedures designed specifically to assess control risks and the integrity of internal controls over accounting information systems.
Accounting Information System
- Summarize the primary information flows within the business environment and evaluate the relationship between traditional accounting records and their magnetic equivalents in computer-based systems.
- Explain and analyze the differences between batch and real-time processing and the impact of these technologies on transaction processing.
Prepare a 10-12 page research paper (excluding title page, abstract, references page, and appendices) in APA format that presents the findings of your analysis of the company’s SEC filings. Your paper should also discuss the following:
- Explain of the benefits of adopting an REA approach to information systems compared to a traditional approach.
- Discuss the general functionality and key elements of ERP systems and understand of the key considerations and risks associated with ERP implementation.
- Explain the Internal control system, its role in a business and its significance in the auditing process.
- Discuss the use of computer assisted auditing techniques within GAAS, PCAOB, and COSO requirements for audits of publicly traded companies.
In addition to the SEC Forms, a minimum of five (5) peer-reviewed academic or professional references must be used in the paper.
Please submit your assignment.
Grading CriteriaAnalyzed the given situation in the IP. 50%Additional research supporting the initial answer to the IP.30%Justified ideas and responses by using appropriate examples and references from texts, Web sites, and other references or personal experience.20%